.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Monday, November 14, 2005

Unexpectedly Sober - The Legend Returns!

Mike Mott, a god among men, has created a website devoted to Unexpectedly Sober - the greatest band ever to play songs that I wrote. Mike was the prolific songwriter, lead singer, and occasional guitarist. Jeff Woodhead played rhythm guitar. Dan Ortiz (who, to my knowledge, does not have a blog) played lead guitar with gusto.

You can get lots of info on the band and lyrics to a lot of our songs on this page. Sadly, no mp3s that I know of (most of them would be low-quality recordings on a crappy cassette tape anyway). This site brings back so many memories it makes me want to cry for joy.

For those of my friends who only got to know me post-Vanderbilt, the songs on the site that I wrote are, in alphabetical order:

  1. "Better Than Prozac" - a song about friendship
  2. "My Perfect Plan" - a sarcastic song about my inability - at the time - to get a girlfriend
  3. "My Promise" - a defiant, and perhaps self-righteous, song about faith, hope, and love
  4. "Sixth (Chrissie and Brooke)" - my most personal song, tying my sorrow about the murder of my nieces in 1994 to 9/11
  5. "Smiles Got Power" - an intentionally meaningless and silly song, but defiantly upbeat
  6. "World" - a song I wrote about certain very selfish people who thought our worlds should revolve around them

Hopefully, I'll be able to get Mike to put up some of the songs I've written post-graduation like "Epiphany", "Sky On Fire" and maybe even my worship song "Joy In The Deluge."

Check out the songs by Mike, Jeff, and Dan too. Mike, especially, is a prolific and talented songwriter. (Nothing against Jeff and Dan, but Mike blows us all out of the water.) I wish there was some way I could play the songs for you non-Vandy folks. Well, I guess I have the ones that have been recorded.

Man, those were the glory days. I will long contend that I lived with rock stars at Vanderbilt. It's just that the rest of the world didn't realize it.

1 Comments:

  • "God among men" might be a stretch. I'm really more of a demigod.

    Your requested songs are currently on the site under the Post-Unexpectedly Sober section. As for mp3s, I would post the ones I have, but I have limited web space. When (if) I relocate the site to a different server with more space, I'll be able to get them up.

    By Blogger Mike, at 11/15/2005 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home