.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I Really Do Hate That Man

One of my favorite thriller/adventure movies is Jurassic Park. I think it's under-appreciated by movie geeks. My favorite thing about it is not the rousing adventure, the special effects, or Samuel L. Jackson's arm. No, my favorite thing is the many throw-away moments that are unnecessary to the plot but define the characters. If you watch the movie closely (and I've seen it a zillion times) you'll see the movie's full of half-spoken lines under a character's breath, humorous asides, and great reaction shots. I get the impression that Spielberg let the actors improv a lot.

Anyways, that's my long-winded ways of introducing a line from that movie which recently popped into my head. Richard Attenborough commenting to himself on Jeff Goldblum's character, with an almost resigned tone to his voice: "I really do hate that man."

Now for a sudden shift in focus.

What made me think of that line? None other than Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I've made it pretty clear that I don't support a military attack on Iran, but I would appreciate the opportunity to kick this man in the teeth.

What fun-loving antics is Mr. "Destroy Israel" doing now? He's boasting about a 2nd, secret nuclear program and then refusing to answer questions about it. I swear to God, the man wants to get bombed.

Too bad he didn't heed my eminently logical advice.

I really do hate that man.

And now, another random Jurassic Park quote:
"I think this was Gennaro."
"I think this was, too."

4 Comments:

  • I agree with you on both fronts. I think "Jurassic Park" is somewhat maligned because the two sequels sucked and the upcoming third sequel will also suck. And you hit the nail on the head: all the movies have featured action and special effects, but only the first really gets to know its characters. Also, only the first really deals with how amazing and majestic the dinosaurs are when they're not trying to kill people.

    As for "Bad Mood" Mahmoud, yeah, he's still an ass.

    By Blogger Mike, at 4/25/2006 3:31 PM  

  • Jurassic Park was an awesome movie. No argument there.

    As for Ahmadinejad, I think he's trying to goad us into a confrontation. He knows that the way he got into power, and the way he'll be able to keep power, is by pulling out the old "Great Shaitan" (which means adversary) card. I think a little reverse psychology is in order here; opening up relations with Iran in a very visible fashion would probably pull the rug out from underneath Ahmadinejad's radicalism. Without a Great Shaitan, all the little reformist shaitans will probably eat him up...

    What was that thing that was on Anne and Jonathan's away messages a lot during college? "Every once in a while, declare peace; it confuses the heck out of your enemies."

    By Blogger Jeff, at 4/25/2006 4:53 PM  

  • I believe that to be Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #76.

    By Blogger Lucas, at 4/25/2006 8:20 PM  

  • thank god you wrote this. I had that line stuck in my head and I couldn't remember what movie it was from for the life of me...so I googled it and this is what I came to. Thanks for helping me out.
    ps I love that movie I remember the day I saw it when it came out in the theaters. I was probably in the fourth grade and I was so scared I hid in my mothers arm the whole time. After that I collected everything Jurassic park I even had trading cards. I still love it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2009 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home