.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Friday, July 07, 2006

Law and Movies: They're What I'm Good For

1. I got me a non-stop week of studying coming up. Damn bar exam. Some people joked that this should be a BAR exam (i.e. testing knowledge of alcoholic beverages) since lawyers are more likely to know about that. Yeah, that would guarantee my failure! Although it would make an interesting conflict between my obsessive study habits and my near-gag reflex at the taste of alcohol.

2. Roger Ebert: Get well soon. Meantime, I found some interest in a compilation of some of his reviews involving Johnny Depp. Depp is the MAN! He's been in bad movies and he's miscalculated on occasion, but he has always been fascinating. Any time I hear about him in a movie, I want to see it. I don't care if he wants to play a 5-year old midget acrobat running for President on the Republican ticket. He can do anything. He's Johnny freakin' Depp!

Survey of my readers: who else fits in that category of actors? "He can do anything! He's ________ freakin' ________!" At the moment only Kevin freakin' Spacey comes to mind. Any other nominations? (Let us not be sexist. Actresses, too. Although at the moment only Meryl freakin' Streep comes to mind.)

3. You're probably already off and running with the movie thoughts, but - in an effort to point out again how monumentally important the Hamdan decision was - I direct you to these analyses on the American Constitution Society's blog.

4. I hope to make my national security law paper - "Can Presidents Kill?" - publishable quality and get it published by my old journal. (They OWE me after all those long nights in the library Bluebooking.) My national security law professor, Scott Silliman, has agreed to help me fix it up. In return, I feel I should shamelessly promote him. He's testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee next Tuesday on how to proceed after Hamdan. Personally, I kind of like being able to say my professor is testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"Hello, my name is Ben and I'm an elitist." (That is a reference only Kenny and possibly Erin would get.)

3 Comments:

  • From the entirely superficial male perspective, I would have to throw in Scarlett freakin' Johansson and Natalie freakin' Portman. From the he's an amazing actor not to mention a huge fan of the space industry perspective, I would also add Tom freakin' Hanks.

    Point of fact, I highly enjoyed "Secret Window" and resent you using it as an example of a bad Johnny Depp movie when "Nick of Time" is so readily available.

    Thanks for the brief entertainment as I continue to work, at 8 pm, on a Friday. Hopefully I'll be taking my own BAR exam before too long.

    By Blogger Mike, at 7/07/2006 8:11 PM  

  • I was gonna come in here and say Hanks too. Dang you Mike.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2006 11:25 PM  

  • Tom freakin' Hanks is a good choice. While I like Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson a lot, I think I'd need to see more of their work before I consider them to have reached "freakin'" level. Seeing Portman's work in Closer and Johansson's work in Match Point (talk about a couple of movies about soulless, selfish people!) makes me think they will achieve "freakin'" status before long.

    But yeah, Hanks kicks ass. Should have thought of him.

    SPOILERS BELOW!
    Point in fact, I HATED Secret Window. Totally didn't enjoy it and was only dismayed by the ending. As far as those kind of twists go, it was better than, say, Hide and Seek. But that's not saying much. It was no Usual Suspects. It wasn't even Identity.

    And I LIKED Nick of Time. I rank Nick of Time up there as a Well-Constructed Thriller. It wasn't Depp's best of work, but it was intelligent, fast-paced, and played fair.

    By Blogger Ben, at 7/08/2006 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home