.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Incredibly Brief Thoughts on the Swift Program

Sorry I haven't blogged in forever. Been with Christy AND studying for the bar for a week. I suppose this does not bode well for me blogging much once I get married, but we'll see.

I'm sure you've heard about the SWIFT Program, the latest War on Terror measure by the Bush Administration performed with good intentions but little or no legal basis. In a nutshell, I agree with the Times editorial: this kind of program is a good idea, but should be done with proper oversight. Also, the Bush Administration should stop with the utter indifference to whether what it does is legal. On the other hand, I'm not so sure the Times made the right decision in publishing this. Unlike with the wiretapping, exposure of the program could kill its effectiveness.

Update: Times editor Bill Keller gives a thoughtful response to the criticisms of his paper for publishing this story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home