.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Crazy life, the short version

I was gonna write a witty blog about my job. It was going to introduce my boss, who is a very nice guy. It was also going to make jokes about the fact that my boss's boss's boss's boss is George W. Bush (could be worse, right? Right? RIGHT?!). On the plus side, I have my own office. On the minus side, it's so buried within the Sam Nunn Federal Center that I'm forgetting what daylight looks like.

How's the actual work? Too soon to tell.

But then these last several days have been insane. Christy has been offered a job which would have her work on nights and weekends. After she and I agonized over it, she turned the job down so that we could still spend time together in the first months of our marriage. It's kind of hard turning down a job offer when there's no backup offer.

This morning, Christy got a call from her mom telling her that Christy's aunt had died. So Christy flew off to Dallas today to comfort her mom. We were already going to go to Dallas for the annual Resnick family reunion/Texas-OU football game. So I'll be flying up on our original plane tickets Friday.

Funny. Christy was never that close to this aunt. I barely knew her. But it's just shocking that she was at our wedding just over a month ago and now she's gone.

So our lives are in total disarray right now. Our apartment mirrors it. Boxes all over the apartment. Stuff strewn about for lack of furniture to put it in.

And Christy's in Dallas while I'm in Atlanta. It's funny. We've been apart before. Hell, we were apart for the better part of 3 years. But I've never felt her absence so keenly as now.

I'm pretty depressing right now, no? On the plus side, I've got my own office, interesting and friendly co-workers, and a William Rehnquist bobble-head doll. On the mega-plus side, I know there's a God who loves me and Christy and has a purpose for us. However hard things get, I know I'm here to love. Keepin' focus on that helps.

Did I mention that I have a William Rehnquist bobble-head doll? It's cool.

Goodnight y'all. I'll e-see you in the morning.

3 Comments:

  • Not much to say in comment to a brother whom I barely know, except to encourage you and your wife in having made the right choice about that job offer. It's difficult to know sometimes when we're letting an opportunity slip thru our fingers. But in this case, letting the job offer slip thru your fingers will let you grasp and protect another much more valuable opportunity—building the solid foundation of your life-long commitment to one another in Christ. There's no greater opportunity than that. There's only one time to build that foundation—at the beginning.

    Go with God, and stay awake!

    By Blogger Ρωμανός ~ Romanós, at 10/05/2006 12:13 AM  

  • Ha, ha, you (sort of) work for Bush now ;)!

    I'm really in no position to tell people not to be depressing, but try to keep focusing on the positives - as you pointed out, there are some big ones. Play some air-guitar :) (and, why were there no photos of you playing air guitar at the wedding reception? Jeez, Ben!).

    As must be obvious, I a) never sleep anymore and b) have decided to e-stalk your blog to compensate for the fact that I haven't heard from you in like 5 months ^_^; . We should catch up when your life is less crazy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/05/2006 2:48 AM  

  • This having your own office, a steady income, and cool bosses is pretty sweet isn't it? Of course, I don't have the William Rehnquist bobble head doll. Instead I have pictures of an F-22 Raptor. Which is cool. And less strict constructionist.

    I'm sorry to hear about Christy's aunt. Offer her my condolences. Will you still be back in Atlanta Sunday, or is your Dallas tour extended? I'm still contemplating a road trip.

    And thanks for the Toad the Wet Sprocket song the title of this post put in my head.

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/05/2006 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home