.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Book Meme

So Monica tagged me in one of those meme things. Apparently I gotta write about books. Must preface this by saying I wish I was reading more and have only recently had time to read for fun.

1. One book that changed your life: Wow, that's a tall order! Don't know if a book of the Bible counts as a separate book, but I'll go with the book of Lamentations, especially chapter 3. It's the book of the Bible that most directly confronts sorrow and suffering, admits the world is totally screwed up.....and the author still somehow finds faith in God. That is, to me, indescribably profound.

2. One book that you've read more than once: The Chronicles of Narnia series (read twice by age 13...need to read again)

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: Seeing as I'd be sort of alone and forlorn, see # 1.

4. One book that made you laugh: Anything by Dave Barry

5. One book that made you cry: Team of Rivals: the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. Yeah, so I cried for Mary Lincoln when Abe was assassinated. I'm a historically-minded softie.

6. One book that you wish had been written: "How To Get A Job Watching Movies For A Living" by Roger Ebert

7. One book you wish had never been written: I could go serious here, but nothing comes to mind except Ulysses by James Joyce. Yeah, yeah, I know it's a classic and I have all the love in the world for classics. But, damn I wish stream-of-consciousness had never been inflicted on me in high school.

8. One book you're currently reading: Lowering the Bar: Lawyer Jokes & Legal Culture. A book given to me, ironically enough, as part of the Integrity Award.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: Off Ramp: Adventures and Heartache in the American Elsewhere by Hank Stuever. Stuever's got a funny way of observing the beautifully tacky aspects of American culture. Also he's either Christy's cousin or her uncle. I'm not sure which.

Okay, so who shall be my victims, assuming they are willing meme-ers? The usual suspects, I suppose

Mike
Jeff
Jacob
Barzelay
Danielle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home