.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Thursday, July 27, 2006

You Can Just Call Me "Ben, Esquire"

Well, I'm done with the bar. I never had any moments of absolute panic. Which means either that (i) I did well enough to pass or (ii) I've resigned myself to the fact that I just don't know the details of vanishing venue, or when service of process relates back to............ah, hell with it.

My more witty colleague Zhubin Parang had this description of the bar studying process:

It's a mind-numbing process, with a boredom that is uniquely fatiguing. On top of it all is the low-grade but ever-present stress that permeates every waking moment you're not studying. Sure, go to a wedding, but what happens if you're tested on powers of appointment? Watch Simpsons if you have to, but aren't you kinda shaky on intentional infliction of emotional distress? The odds of failing are so low, but the consequences of failing are so high, it's like you're playing Russian Roulette with a thousand-chamber revolver, and that's not a situation that keeps you mentally comfortable with a 9-5 study schedule.


But it's over! And I'm 95% sure I passed! Maybe even 96.3%!

Anyways, I'm sitting in the kitchen listening as my adorable 2-year old nephew Drew (Cars fanatic) is playing happily in the other room while the rest of his family is at Six Flags. He's the most articulate almost-3-year-old I've ever met. And he talks nonstop. I'm told I was like him at that age. Heck I probably still am. I've just moved up in my obsessions from Lightning McQueen to Paul Thomas Anderson.

I'm doing the odds and ends of wedding planning. But I tell ya, right now, it don't feel stressful. I'm feeling FREE! I'm DONE with the doggone bar exam and I couldn't be happier. Have I explained to you how much I hate Commercial Paper. Have I told you why the Rule Against Perpetuities is the most idiotically complex and pointless rule devised by common lawyers to create malpractice in later generations? Well, guess what? I won't tell you now! I shall dedicate myself in the ensuing weeks to developing the ability to once again have interesting conversations.

Tomorrow, I'm flying to hang with Mike for the weekend. It's been a long time since we've seen each other and I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, it's a last single-guy's hurrah and a celebration of finishing the bar exam. So we're gonna celebrate in that wild and crazy Chaffin 316 (our old dorm) kinda way: watching movies, playing music, and hanging out. Perhaps going to concerts. I hear other single guys celebrate in different ways. I can only imagine that they are less fun than what I do.

5 Comments:

  • How do you know you passed? I don't mean to be faecetious, it is just that I sat it yesterday and have absolutely no idea.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2006 4:38 PM  

  • Well, I don't know to a 100% certainty. But there were enough questions where I knew the answer and enough questions where I ventured a confident guess. There were no points (except a few of the multiple choice questions) where I stared in horror at the question with an utterly blank mind, unable to come up with an answer. That DID happen to me several times as a I was practicing earlier in the summer.

    So, I'm pretty sure I passed because I didn't screw up anywhere.

    By Blogger Ben, at 7/27/2006 4:49 PM  

  • Hey Ben, congrats on being done with the bar!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/28/2006 1:50 AM  

  • Yeah, Ben!!! :-) Enjoy the windup to the wedding. The day itself will fly by.

    Oh, hey Erin, I could use a little help over on my blog. We're having a rip-roaring fight over Walmart, and I'm the only one on my side. :-)

    By Blogger Monica, at 7/28/2006 9:19 AM  

  • Oh, you'll find out in what "different ways" single guys celebrate this weekend. Oh yes. Your former roommate has some plans up his sleeve and only two days to complete the corruption of the Ben.

    Curiosity piqued? Well, all I'll say for now is that I'm told laws are less rigid one county north of here. Be afraid.

    (Two days later, after having spent the weekend listening to music, hanging out, and watching movies, Ben returns to Atlanta.)

    By Blogger Mike, at 7/28/2006 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home