.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Some Thoughts This Christmas

O come, Desire of Nations, bind
All peoples in one heart and mind;
Bid envy, strife, and discord cease,
Fill the whole world with heaven's peace

Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel!

----------------------------------------------

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners.

--------------------------------------------------

Truly He taught us to love one another.
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall he break, for the slave is our brother
And in His name all oppression shall cease
.

--------------------------------------------

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will live with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

--------------------------------------------------

And ye, beneath life's crushing load
Whose forms are bending low
Who toil along the climbing way
Through painful steps and slow
Look now, for glad and golden hours
Come swiftly on the wing
O rest beside the weary road
And hear the angels sing

-----------------------------------------------

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son; that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son to condemn the world, but to save it.

----------------------------------------------

The thrill of hope
The weary world rejoices

-----------------------------------------------------

My soul glorifies the Lord
and my Spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me - holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him from generation to generation.
He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
He has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their throne
But he has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
but he has sent the rich away empty.


------------------------------------------------------

A baby. A completely helpless and vulnerable baby. A baby sleeping in a donkey's food trough. Hardly an auspicious beginning for the most important human in history/the Almighty Ruler of the Universe. (love the duality!) But then, Jesus made a career (if you can call it that) out of taking our worldly wisdom and turning it on its head:

Love your enemies....

Blessed are the meek....

I have come to preach good news to the poor....

Whoever seeks to save his life will lose it. But whoever loses his life for me will save it.....

Whatever you do for the least of these brothers of mine, you do for me......

Today, I celebrate the birth of the One who inspired all these songs and words of praise. Who so richly deserves all that praise.

Who inspires me and challenges me to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with my God. Whose example teaches me to love sacrificially....to look beyond my own narrow interests.

------------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas, my dear friends!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home