.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Blog Contest - and A Reminder Not To Kick Sand In Your Own Face

Do not kick sand in your own face. I learned this lesson the hard way while playing volleyball after a day of lawyer training in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. (Ah, the hard life of a government lawyer.)

Anyways, in my infinite skill and lawyerly aggression, I made a dive for the ball. An unsuccessful dive for the ball. But as I hit the ground I kicked up some sand. Into my own face. Usually, this is something bullies do to wimps. Psychologists might speculate why I did this to myself. Christy would have a field day diagnosing what's going on here.

Then I proceeded to do the same thing again later in the match. This take immeasurable skill.

But we WON, darn it! No lousy Wage-Hour investigators are gonna beat a team of overcompetitive lawyers.

Speaking of competition.....

I have decided to hold a contest. The prize is yet to be determined. (Something inexpensive. Suggestions are welcome. It might be some of Christy's baked goods. Or some cheap gadget. It will be delivered to the winner.)

The contest: Funniest blog post by someone you know. I'm not looking for the work of professional humorists. It has to be written by someone you know personally. What posts written by friends have left you on the floor helpless with laughter?

The process: Right now, we are in the nominating process. So feel free to nominate any funny blog posts by people of your personal acquaintance. Then, in a future blog post, I will list all the nominees and the floor will be open for voting. The contest will be cross-posted on Ching's Literary to get more nominations.

I'm going to open the floor with 3 nominations:

Those 3 are narratives, but not all the nominations must be in narrative form. Also, feel free to nominate (and vote for) yourself. So, send in any nominations (and prize suggestions). May the laughter flow.

[Update: Christy has now diagnosed the cause of the in-my-face sand kicking: "You missed me." You see, of course, how that explains everything.]

7 Comments:

  • Right now, no nominations are readily springing to mind, but that may be because my brain is so occupied trying to figure out precise how one manages to kick sand into one's own face (feet being so far separated from heads and all). Please put my mind at ease with an explanation.

    By Blogger Mike, at 11/04/2006 11:32 AM  

  • Read the blog-post, Mikey. I dove for the ball, hit the sand going sideways, and the force of my foot hitting the sand propelled some sand into my face.

    By Blogger Ben, at 11/05/2006 4:16 PM  

  • I'm with Mike. And I still can't picture it even with your additional description. We need frame-by-frame analysis. When did the foot hit the sand? When did the upper body hit the ground? When did the sand land in the face? What was the approximate angle on the sand's trajectory? Give us the full picture. Images would help.

    By Blogger Matthew B. Novak, at 11/05/2006 5:00 PM  

  • Cool idea. My nominations are up on my own blog.

    http://www.jacobgrier.com/blog/archives/605.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/06/2006 9:38 PM  

  • Ok, I'm going to go ahead and make a nomination, taken from my blog. It's probably not the funniest thing I've ever posted. I haven't had the time to find that yet. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But seeing as some guy named Ben Stark said "You had me at the blog title and this is a hilarious post!" I'm somewhat comfortable suggesting that this post is a little funny:
    http://mbnovak.blogspot.com/2006/05/half-way-to-half-way-to-half-of-200.html



    Also, I'm waiting to hear back from the guy who I consider to be one of the funniest I've ever read. I'll post his suggestions too, when they come in.

    By Blogger Matthew B. Novak, at 11/14/2006 2:15 AM  

  • Here's another nomination... is this thing happening/did it happen?

    http://deltayankeekilo.blogspot.com/2006/12/that-last-stipulation-is-negotiable.html#comments

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/12/2006 10:16 PM  

  • One final nomination. Mine seem to be in a different style than the ones originally suggested, but I'm still proud of this post:

    http://mbnovak.blogspot.com/2005/03/read-philosofickle-play-again.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/15/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home