.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Saturday, January 20, 2007

I Cannot Think Of A Title For This Blog Post

David Barzelay recently commented on Mike's blog that Mike and I probably haven't seen 2/3 of his top 15 movies of the year. This depresses me, for I used to pride myself on seeing all sorts of excellent, obscure movies.

Pride goeth before the fall, I guess. Or it goeth after marriage. (Yes, yes, it's still worth it.)

Nonetheless, in a desperate attempt to reclaim my movie street cred, I'll note something that kind of shocked me. Hannibal Rising is the upcoming "origin" story about Hannibal Lecter. It looks just plain awful. Nonetheless, I was shocked to realize the role of Hannibal is played by Gaspard Ulliel - that angelic-looking fresh-faced young man from A Very Long Engagement. Talk about your different roles. Of course, I guess his innocent looking face is part of the point of his casting as the face of evil.

I'm bored, so I'll toss this out there. Any other examples of innocent-looking evil in the movies? And please don't cite Macaulay Culkin in The Good Son. Show a little self-respect.

2 Comments:

  • Like I said, when I meant this was a bad year for movies, it was probably more accurate to say that a lot of movies I thought were going to be good weren't and I admittedly saw very little else (Tampa is not exactly strong on showing independent features, at least not as far as I've found, but then the Angelika in Houston probably spoiled me). In that sense, I can see it as a failure of movie marketing rather than the movies themselves. Also, I agree with you on theaters, but hey, what are you gonna do?

    In fairness, Ben, Anthony Hopkins always had a pretty innocent face himself. I remember my grandmother (who never saw Silence) saying she couldn't believe the same sweet guy in "Shadowlands" could be a psycho.

    I can't think of any other examples either, but a lot of times I think people are cast largely for the purpose of looking innocent when in fact their characters are not.

    By Blogger Mike, at 1/20/2007 11:39 AM  

  • I'll surprise some people and say Louise Fletcher from "One Flew..." She isn't a particularly imposing or evil-looking sort, but her perfect icy stare turns her from nice-enough nurse to, well, the Devil.

    And I don't know if you count silly bad guys, but Andy Griffith as the bad guy in "Spy Hard" has to be up there.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 1/23/2007 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home