.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Nothing Like Massive Compliments To Brighten Your Day

Well, this has never happened to me before.

Christy (my fiancee, love-of-my-life....you know the one) has a younger sister named Melissa. Melissa's 12 or 13 years old. I've talked to her on the phone a few times, but I've only met her once - for a weekend at Christy's place. Given my recent movie experience, she reminds me of Jane Bennett in Pride & Prejudice: sweet, friendly, and always willing to think the best of others. Also in the recent movie version of Pride & Prejudice, Jane has blond hair and so does Melissa. (Hey, man, I'm using an analogy here! The comparison need not be perfect.)

That last trait was put to flattering effect when she wrote an essay about me.

Yeah, that's right, she wrote about me. Her assignment was to write a descriptive essay about a person, thing, or place. She could have chosen a direct family member, Napoleon Bonaparte, Napoleon Dynamite....heck, she could have chosen Mount Everest. Instead, she described me. As if that wasn't flattering enough, she also described me as having a "great voice", "one of the nicest, sweetest guys I've known", "caring and loving", "really funny", "perfect for my sister", "a kid at heart", and "taller than I had expected."

Yup. There's no better boost for the ol' ego - or, to put it in more benign terms, no better means of relieving a depressing day of studying - than to have an entire complimentary essay written about you.

Thanks, Melissa!

1 Comments:

  • If I ever got a "taller than I had expected" I would probably go dancing in the streets.

    If she weren't 12, I might have to ask if her last name was Vicks. But since she is, I can only congratulate you on having good in-laws.

    By Blogger Mike, at 12/04/2005 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home