.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Movies I'm Dying To See But Don't Know If I Will

Grindhouse - Come on...it's Tarantino and Rodriguez. Those names mean that, if nothing else, it will not be boring.

Amazing Grace - Probably the movie on my list that I'm least excited to see. But I'll probably be joining my church's task force to deal with issues of human trafficking in Atlanta...so I need to be inspired by a good anti-slavery movie.

The Namesake - looks like an absolutely fascinating family drama. And, yes, I'm curious to see how Kal Penn holds up in a movie which is not a stupid comedy. Based on the trailer, I'd say he does rather well.

The Lookout - Combine Joseph Gordon-Levitt (star of Brick) with Scott Frank (first-time director; writer of Dead Again - which you've just gotta see - adapted Get Shorty, Out of Sight, and Minority Report for the screen) and you've got me hooked. Looks kinda noir-ish, too...which is always a big draw for me.

First Snow - Combine Guy Pearce (L.A. Confidential, Memento, The Proposition), philosophy of death, and one review saying it evokes noir and.....well, I think filmmakers are starting to figure out what hooks me in.

Coming very soon: "Die Elitist Die!"

UPDATE: Add Black Book to that list based on this review alone.

UPDATE 2: Rob Zombie is making a remake of Halloween. Yes, the man behind House of 1,000 Corpses is remaking the classic of the horror genre....the movie that valued suspense over idiotic blood and gore. Looks like it's time for Ruining Classic Movies 101.

3 Comments:

  • "The Namesake" is very good and very well acted. It probably helps if you've known people whose families have experienced similar situations.

    I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Wait, Mike went to see a movie this weekend and it wasn't 'Grindhouse'? Has the world gone mad?" Well, how awesome is this: next week, a bunch of us are taking a few hours off of work to go see it. Of course, we'll subsequently be working until 10, but that's nothing new. You know you're jealous.

    I'm intrigued by "The Lookout" as well, and I've only vaguely heard of "First Snow", but I'd be surprised if either of those pop up in theaters around here.

    By Blogger Mike, at 4/07/2007 11:36 AM  

  • Oh crap, "Dead Again" returns!

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    Seriously, The Lookout looks pretty sweet.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 4/10/2007 11:52 AM  

  • Oh, and might I suggest "Hot Fuzz" - a cop comedy by the fine folks who brought you "Shaun of the Dead."

    By Blogger Jeff, at 4/11/2007 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home