.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Time for Weeping....

Eight years ago Friday, the massacre at Columbine scarred the collective consciousness of a teenage generation. Now even more people - kids my little brother's age - die in another senseless killing at Virginia Tech.

There is a time for everything, a season for every activity under heaven. . . a
time to mourn and a time to dance.

Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4.

There will be a time to draw lessons from this....perhaps something about gun control or the psychological help available to college students. But now, I can't think about that. Now, it is only time to mourn.

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
Romans 12:15

My heart and prayers go out to those who have lost loved ones and those who have lived through this horror. At times I can't believe how desensitized I am to all the pain in the world. Perhaps it takes tragedy striking those I most identify with to clue me in to suffering.

Since my people are crushed, I am crushed; I mourn and horror grips
me.
Jeremiah 8:21

I still identify with students. I was one only a few months ago. I still think of them as "my people."

I have no words of wisdom and few words of reflection at this point. But let us mourn. Let us never reach that place in our hearts where we do not mourn the pain of others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home