.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Much Delayed "Really Good Meme"

A few days ago, Jeff tagged me with the "Really Good Meme." For those of you who don't follow stuff like this, a meme is the blog equivalent of chain mail. The rules for this meme (which I intend to stretch and which I've already seen stretched by others) are as follows:

  1. Open the nearest book to page 123
  2. Post sentences 6, 7, and 8 from that page
  3. Tag five others
I've got two books nearby. First I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert:

But my sheepskin announces to all assembled that though I may be a man of the people, I also have the keys to the clubhouse. I can't count the number of times I've heard the phrase, "You went to Dartmouth? I find that hard to believe."

Okay, so I kind of cheated and included two quoted sentences as one sentence.

The other book nearby is Great Christian Thinkers: A Beginner's Guide To Over 70 Leading Theologians Through the Ages by Colin Blakely:

He was born in Northumberland in 1502 (we think) and went from there to study classics at Cambridge. But he continued his studies at the Sorbonne in Paris and at Louvain, and it is likely that he came face-to-face here with all the Reforming ideas that were prevalent on the European continent. This was, after all, at the height of Luther's protests.

And, just for good measure, I'll also answer this meme on Christy's behalf. Her nearby book is Before You Leap: A Frog's-Eye View of Life's Greatest Lessons allegedly by Kermit the Frog. (And why not?). Since page 123 is a page between chapters, she'll do 122. Here goes:

And when I've successfully visualized this perfect frog, I send him out to deal with the problem. And when that doesn't work, at least I have someone to commiserate and share popcorn with during the debacle. When all else fails, give them stuff.


Who to tag? Jeff tagged most of my readership, and Mike tagged much of the rest. Not sure if I can think of 5 people to tag. But here goes: Monica, Kenny, my ever-positive sister Ronda, and (at this point I'm going to have to go with a friend-of-a-friend) Andy (that's, right punk! I'm making you update your blog from your nearly year-long hibernation!), and - since he's already done this once on Jeff's blog - Kenny's friend Dave. Incidentally, Kenny says I remind him of Dave and vice versa. Can't say exactly how, but it's clearly not our politics.

I'm thinking of inventing my own meme. It's called the "Love of Nouns" meme. Remind me and I'll explain later. Unless I don't. If you'll remember, I began this blog with the promise of inconsistency.

2 Comments:

  • It's perhaps cheating, because the sentences have to come out of the panels in a comic, because there is only half a paragraph of actual text. But, from "The Dilbert Future"...

    "Ratbert, we'd like you to be the director of marketing for the company we're starting. Okay, what do I do? Be as annoying and illogical as you can."

    By Blogger -Dave, at 5/05/2008 12:22 AM  

  • Here is where I’ll explain how Ben and Dave remind me of one another. As you’ve said, it’s clearly not about the particulars of your politics, because they’re opposite. But, the way you’re political seems the same, and by that, I guess you’re both fairly ardent in your politics, but interested in listening to the other side.

    It’s mostly about personality. You’re both brainy guys. Also, and this may be key, you’re highly enthusiastic about whatever it is you’re into. Also, you’re both very nice guys, which mixes interestingly with being ardent about both politics and religion. Also, I think there is a very superficial similarity to your facial structures, in that both of you, if pressed to do so, could probably pull off serviceable imitations of John Kerry. You’re both quite sincere and Evangelical. You’re both into concrete acts of service in the service of your faith.

    By Blogger Kenny, at 5/06/2008 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home