.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Monday, May 26, 2008

Strawberry Fields Forever

[Y'know, I never really liked that song. If I want to listen to the genre of "Beatles drug-related songs" I prefer "Penny Lane" or "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."]

So today's Memorial Day, so Christy and I had the day off. Her grandparents were here this weekend (part of a road trip to Washington, D.C.), so we had a lot of fun.

After seeing off the grandparents, Christy and I went strawberry-picking at this place. It was awesome. Not only did we get to pick a ton of God's Favorite Fruit (a title I just made up but will apply to strawberries for the rest of my life because it's obviously true), but we simply got to enjoy time being outdoors. My favorite part was observing the wide variety of people around us. White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian......people speaking all different languages......old folks and kids laughing. It felt like.....well....America. People from all different backgrounds enjoying a beautiful early summer day with friends and family amidst a bountiful harvest.

We observed a moment of silence for the fallen soldiers at 3:00 in remembrance of Memorial Day and said a prayer for the soldiers whose lives are still on the line. As I did, it occurred to me that moments like this are part of what these soldiers fought (and are fighting) for.

I'll leave my political statements for another day. I'll just say that standing in the field made me happy to be here.

4 Comments:

  • Now this post just made me smile! So glad you got to spend some fun, low-stress time together this weekend. It was great getting to visit with you. I thought Strawberry Picking was already over. I need to call and get out there soon! Blueberry picking is a lot of fun too! That comes up in June and my kids love it!

    By Blogger Ronda, at 5/27/2008 3:00 PM  

  • Dude, qu'est-ce que the hell? "Strawberry Fields Forever" is one of the greatest Beatles songs. The arrangement is so intricate and complex, and the effects and the way they melded two different recordings (at two different tempos no less) was way ahead of its time. Honestly, I used to feel the same as you, but as I've been listening to "Magical Mystery Tour" a lot recently (since I got it on vinyl) I'm come to admire and love many Beatles songs I used to be "meh" about, particularly this one and "I Am The Walrus".

    By Blogger Mike, at 5/28/2008 10:07 AM  

  • I with him on this one, Mike. That song stinks.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/28/2008 3:03 PM  

  • Okay, maybe it's just a musician thing. Either way, I prefer it to "Lucy in the Sky". Not "Penny Lane" though, that song is awesome.

    By Blogger Mike, at 5/29/2008 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home