.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Guess I Got Smart

It's hard to find a movie that can please me, Christy, and Christy's Mom (visiting from out of town). (Which is why I wasn't enraptured watching The Dark Knight this weekend.) Get Smart did the trick. The trailers don't do it justice.

Having never seen the original TV show, the only thing I knew to expect was a shoe phone, catchy theme music, and a spy spoof. The trailers made it look pretty stupid, but Ebert's 3.5 star review made me hopeful. And Steve Carrell, as we all know, rocks. Also, I'm a fan of The Rock/Dwayne Johnson. He's actually got great comic timing. And Anne Hathaway....well, she's got the charm of a girl next door who would, of course, never actually live next door to you, personally. So I expected a good comedy.

I got what I expected. What I didn't expect was that the movie also functions very well as an action movie (Steve Carrell the action star!) and even a bit of a romance. It's a genuine crowd-pleaser. And, hey, we're all a part of the crowd. You should go see it.

2 Comments:

  • The movie was truly phenomenial! One arrives expecting all the gadgets, actions sequences and coined phrases of a traditional superhero movie but what you got was a deep and moving story that in its trustest nature reflected the two faces of humanity!

    By Blogger Rover Fox, at 7/20/2008 11:27 PM  

  • Stand up from your desk, inform your boss that you need to take three hours of personal time, go to the nearest movie theater, and see "The Dark Knight". It is simply unconscionable that you have not observed the awesomeness of this film.

    By Blogger Mike, at 7/21/2008 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home