.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Mayo Update

Wow, I leave this blog alone for one week, and I find a full-fledged rhetorical war on my hands. While it's entertaining to watch the sparks fly, I don't have the heart to join the fray right now. It's been a long week.

So, Christy's been through an alphabet soup of tests: EKG, EEG, ECG, MRI, Halter monitor. We've met with a neurologist and a cardiologist (2 of the latter, actually). My Dad - a saint - came down with us this past week to provide moral support and a "grown-up" presence that these doctors may be more likely to respect than us "kids." (Said the 27-year-old.)

Bottom Line: The heart tests didn't find any problems with the heart. The neurological tests didn't find any problems with the brain. (All comforting....and frustrating. After 5 months, we want some ANSWERS!) The MRI did find a few anomalies re: lymph nodes and the blood system which could range from "absolutely nothing" to "serious problem."

.....Meaning we are going back to Jacksonville next week. We'll be seeing a hematologist and also doing some tests to see if sleep apnea (sp?) is causing all these problems. The thing the MRI discovered could be nothing, or it could be something unrelated to all the problems Christy's been experiencing, or it could be the cause of the problems. We just don't know at this point.

It hasn't been all gloom and doom and tests. I got to see a couple of my cousins: Amanda (newly engaged!) and Tiffany, along with my grandmother and various aunts and uncles. We ate some of the best seafood I've ever had. We came back to Atlanta for the 4th and enjoyed the best hot dogs I've ever had. Then we came to Birmingham to hang with Ronda and Jere and their two unreasonably adorable children. We watched fireworks (and a reading of the Declaration of Independence) at American Village. And we found time to watch two movies: Hancock (fun) and WALL-E (everything you've come to expect from the folks at Pixar). (Actually, Christy went to see that American Girl movie with the surprisingly good reviews while I saw WALL-E with Jere and my nephew, Drew.) In other words, there have been some good things. Also, the folks at Mayo have been nothing but kind, friendly, understanding, and flexible.

So this has been a time of ups and downs, frustration and uncertainty, gnawing fear and comfort from friends. And there's more to come.

A last note: This past week we've been deluged with kind thoughts, prayers, and words of encouragement from friends and family. Thank you! I can't tell you how much that means to us. Your kindness and support helps sustain us.

Oh, and Christy wants me to tell you that she says "hi".

1 Comments:

  • Ben, I hope I am not being too forthright if I say you and Christy are in our prayers tonight. I am reminded of Jeremiah 30:17, "'I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,' declared the LORD."

    Keep us up to date: it's got to be frustrating to have such a range of possibilities -- that it could be on one end stress or anxiety and on the other end (if you're going to see a hematologist), anemia, hypoglycemia or coronary? I'm sure I speak for all when I say we pray for good news.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/07/2008 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home