.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Brief Basketball Comment

An anonymous commenter - I can only assume the one who wanted to mix it up with me over at Mike's blog - assumes that I begrudge George Mason their victories. On the contrary. Like any other apple-pie lovin' American, I love an underdog story. However unlikely it may be, I'm rooting for George Mason to go all the way. I mean, come on....how unlikely was it that GMU would get this far? I've been hearing comparisons to the 1980 US Hockey team.....on NPR, not ESPN. Even non-sports types like me are loving this story.

I thought it was pretty clear from my anti-UNC jokes (done, I thought, in the spirit of good-natured ribbing) that I was playing the role of the overzealous Duke fan. "He's no Coach K, that's for sure"? Come on! I know there's a cult of K at Duke, but that's ridiculous. As an amateur Founding Fathers buff, of course I know who George Mason was. He was the leading advocate to add a specific Bill of Rights to the Constitution.

Some people really need to calm down. It's just sports. Now movies - THOSE are worth fighting to the death over!

16 Comments:

  • He's just yanking your chain. It amuses him. Don't ask me why.

    By Blogger Mike, at 3/28/2006 8:01 PM  

  • Well, I wrote this post in a mix amusement and bemusement.

    I think I shall refer to this anonymous blogger as The Magical Mystery Blogger until further notice.

    By Blogger Ben, at 3/28/2006 8:03 PM  

  • "(done, I thought, in the spirit of good-natured ribbing)" and you miss my doing it back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2006 8:04 PM  

  • Wait....Other White Meat. you're the anonymous blogger?

    Man, I kind of liked calling you The Magical Mystery Blogger.

    And thus we have the shortest-lived nickname of all time. 3 minutes.

    By Blogger Ben, at 3/28/2006 8:07 PM  

  • yep

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2006 8:10 PM  

  • For the record, that's five comments in the span of ten minutes. Y'all are awesome.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 3/28/2006 9:13 PM  

  • Jeff speaks....and all it right with the world

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2006 10:48 PM  

  • amen.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 3/28/2006 10:57 PM  

  • Peace be upon him.

    By Blogger Mike, at 3/28/2006 10:58 PM  

  • wait wait wait. I just actually read your other blog. I did not post on here about the GMU. I thought you were refering to Mikes blog(teach me to follow the link). So I won't you the MMB name anymore on here and you can go call the other guy that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2006 11:10 PM  

  • Ok....so on Mike's blog, my exchange with "anonymous" was with Other White Meat. (About whose identity I have my potentially incorrect suspicions...none of which will be broadcast on this blog.)

    But the anonymous person who got all angry with me about GMU on this blog is the Magical Mystery Blogger.

    The plot thickens.....

    The classwork remains incomplete.....

    By Blogger Ben, at 3/28/2006 11:17 PM  

  • no no, please broadcast. I'd love to know who you think I am :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2006 11:48 PM  

  • Well ok then. I just figured the use of a pseudonym means you didn't want to broadcast your identity. IF we know each other, then my guess is that you're Yaz.

    Based on the comments in Mike's blog, you'd have to be someone who.....

    (a) knows me well enough to know I'm a virgin, and respect that
    (b) personally knows someone who has worked in the sex work industry
    (c) is close enough with Mike to playfully call him a prick without him seeing any insult in that.

    Based on that, I'd say signs point to Yaz.

    If we don't know each other, then...well, I have no idea who the hell you are.

    But that's ok....I've had long blog conversations with total strangers whose middle initial I know. (It's "B".) So why not people whose name I don't know?

    By Blogger Ben, at 3/28/2006 11:55 PM  

  • I do know Yaz but I'm not him. You'll never guess because you don't know me but your break down of clues was pretty good.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2006 11:58 PM  

  • oh, and anytime you're up for a debate on religion. You let me know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2006 11:58 PM  

  • Yaz is usually more creative, saying things "cockmonkey" as opposed to "prick". However, I somehow had a feeling that would be your first guess.

    As I told the "other white meat", if nothing else, you'll meet at my wedding. Assuming extreme dementia brought on by old age hasn't set in by then.

    By Blogger Mike, at 3/29/2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home