.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Reporting From Guantanamo

Well, I'll give the Defense Department props for letting Priti Patel from Human Rights First watch the military commissions in Guantanamo. And it seems clear that the participants are trying hard to do their job in a fair and professional manner.

But that's about all that I can say was good about these kangaroo courts. What good can possibly be said about a court that hasn't even decided what law it is going to apply? It doesn't matter how professional everybody is if the basic rules of the game are being made up as we go along. And since - with the Hamdan case awaiting the Supreme Court's decision - the legality of these commissions is in grave doubt, why are they even moving forward?

You can read Patel's reports here, here, here, here, and here.

5 Comments:

  • "It doesn't matter how professional everybody is if the basic rules of the game are being made up as we go along."

    - I disagree. See, for example: http://www.wtfdood.com/willis/images/calvinball.gif

    By Blogger Matthew B. Novak, at 4/09/2006 9:58 PM  

  • Touche, Mr. Novak. I stand corrected

    I can only point out that in the eminent example you cite, the goal is not justice but random fun. If it can be proven that the score in the current round of military commissions is Q to 12 and the detainees are having a rockin' good time, then I will withdraw my objections.

    By Blogger Ben, at 4/09/2006 10:02 PM  

  • "Okay, the score is oogy to boogy."
    "I already HAD oogy."

    By Blogger Mike, at 4/09/2006 11:32 PM  

  • No, no. I think your objections are extremely valid. Call me crazy, but I also find it troubling when there are legal processes which exist outside the law and stem from an abuse of power. And by "find it troubling" I mean "make me so angry I could vomit." Only I haven't eaten much today, so I'd probably just be dry heaving anyways.

    By Blogger Matthew B. Novak, at 4/10/2006 1:28 AM  

  • A pleasant thought, Mr. Novak. And yet, one that is apt for lawlessness.

    By Blogger Ben, at 4/10/2006 6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home