.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Brief Funny Break

Two things that made me chuckle before

Check out this Brewster Rockit comic. In the years since the demise of Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side, I've been despairing for the state of comics. I mean, come on....Fox Trot? Dilbert was the only hope, and it sometimes just got a tad too misanthropic for my tastes. But with Brewster Rockit and Pearls Before Swine, hope returns.

[Update] The Brewster Rockit comic is a bit easier to read here.

Check out this Garfield comic. Yes, Garfield is hit or miss. It's no Calvin & Hobbes. And don't get me started on that horrible-looking Garfield movie. Actually, I never started on it. Never gave it the time of day. And I won't. But I grew up with Garfield. When it works, I enjoy its straight-up silliness. And today's a good one.

Oh, I guess I'll just admit it. I've been a Garfield fan even before I was a kid watching Garfield and Friends in the late '80s. I like silly. Haven't you guessed that by now? Garfield had me at - "Garfield? I really think you should go on a diet." "Okay. And Jon? I really think you should jump naked into a swimming pool full of wolverine."

It is my fervent belief that one day, even though Charles Schultz is dead, Charlie Brown will kick that damn football. Does this make me (a) a lovable optimist? (b) a naive, self-deceiving dolt? (c) a guy who's procrastinating from starting work on yet another paper which he has no idea what to write about?

And, in one last inspired burst of comics-related procrastination (oops, gave away the answer, didn't I?) I give you the following exchange from the greatest work of art in American pop culture (until I change my mind):

"You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood."
"What mood is that?"
"Last-minute panic."

[Update:] Don't forget to check out my national security law paper! Find if the President can legally have you killed if he suspects you of being a terrorist!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home