.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I Just Finished Law School

Cool.

-------------------------------------------

I predict about 2 people who read this blog, maybe only one, will recognize the reference I am making in the title and single word above. Or maybe nobody will. Winner gets a free CD. (Hint: Don't bother Googling it. It's not a reference to anything famous or semi-famous.)

--------------------------------------------

In other news, Iranian President Mahmoud "Should Be Poking Himself In The Eye Right Now" Ahmadinejad has written a fascinating letter to President Bush. (The letter's available on a link from the Times article.)

Now I don't trust Ahmadinejad as far as I can throw him. The letter is probably intended to undermine any concerted international diplomatic effort against Iran. It never once discusses what Iran has done wrong, including the whole nuclear issue. And the punk expresses skepticism that the Holocaust ever happened. And yet.....

It's an oddly thoughtful letter. It asks whether American government policy is in keeping with President Bush's professed Christian values - including whether all this money spent on war stuff would be better spent helping our poor citizens. It's strangely polite toward Bush. It asks how both Ahmadinejad's presidency and Bush's will be judged by history.

If it were coming from anyone else (and if it didn't deny the Holocaust) I might even find myself endorsing it. As it is, I find it strangely fascinating......

[Update:] My good friend Jeff Woodhead has an excellent response.

7 Comments:

  • I feel like I should get that reference, but I don't -- and yet it seems like the kind of response we would have formulated upon graduating college a mere three years ago.

    Congratulations.

    By Blogger Mike, at 5/10/2006 3:10 PM  

  • have no idea but the last time I heard someone say something big and then answer with "cool" was Rookie of the year. Guy says something about the kid wanting to pitch in the major leagues and the kid just says "cool". So comeon know, whats the answer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2006 3:38 PM  

  • you know, you really need a edit button or something for people ignorant in english like me. Bad enough my spelling sucks, no need to show it off to the world.

    Oh yeah.... Congrats

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2006 3:42 PM  

  • So THAT'S what "OTW" stands for. I've been wondering.

    Mike, and possibly Jeff, are the only ones who should get this. Like I said, it's not a reference to anything famous or semi-famous.

    It came from a computer science friend of Mike's at Vandy. I want to say his name is Scott, but I don't remember. Tall fellow with blond hair and intensely laid back attitude. One of Mike's lab partners.

    Anyway, "Scott", if that's his name, finished college a semester early. So, after turning in his last exam, he left an AIM away message that read:

    "I just finished college


    "Cool"

    The sensation of having literally "just finished college" stuck with me. And now, I have finished law school.

    By Blogger Ben, at 5/10/2006 3:57 PM  

  • ah, thanks ya much. So the last blog before you get married will be

    "I'm getting married"

    "cool"

    right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2006 4:15 PM  

  • Oh yeah, now I remember that on Scott's away message. I knew it sounded familiar.

    Though I have to admit my favorite Scott away message was the one where he said, "I think being forced to do something takes the fun out of it. Even if Vanderbilt offered a class, "Having Sex with Beautiful Women Nightly", I bet I'd still bitch about how much work I have to do, how I hate school, and generally procrastinate and get all stressed about the nightly assignments."

    By Blogger Mike, at 5/10/2006 5:00 PM  

  • FAMILY BLOG MAN

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2006 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home