.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Sunday, May 07, 2006

My Lexis Purchase

[Update:] Ha ha! I only realized an hour and a half after posting this that most people might think I meant a Lexus purchase. Not quite. Remember, I'm a poor, indebted law student who is going to work for the public sector. No Lexus in my future. Not that I'd really want one.

So, after 3 years of casual use of Lexis Nexis, I'm about to graduate. In order to bribe people to use Lexis over Westlaw for legal research, they give you.....Lexis Points. You can trade these in for cool stuff. I decided to look and see if I could afford an i-Pod with three years' worth of Lexis points (minus some points donated to Katrina victims) (I'm sure they needed an i-Pod).

It should come as no surprise to those who know me that I spent about 10 minutes looking at electronics before buying movies, books, and music. I bought....

1. A Thomas Jefferson biography

2. A Kelly Clarkson album

3. The Night of the Hunter: a classic 1950s surrealist/suspense/horror film ("Chiiiiiiiiildren.")

4. A James Madison biography

5. The new Pearl Jam album

Some might say I have eclectic tastes.

6 Comments:

  • As I said on the phone yesterday, congratulations on being the only human being in history to purchase a Kelly Clarkson album and a Pearl Jam album in the same day.

    By Blogger Mike, at 5/08/2006 10:11 AM  

  • yeah, I was going to be nice and not say anything but Kelly Clarkson? You alright man? You picked that up for your girl, right? Right? RIGHT?!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2006 11:34 AM  

  • I proudly stand by my random assortment of tastes.

    Kelly Clarkson is the only singer from that crappy American Idol show to make good pop music. Or really good music of any kind. Sure it's the most mainstream music ever....but I like what I like, be it mainstream, indie, or my roomates' band. And "Behind These Hazel Eyes" is a solid mainstream pop song.

    To quote a couple lines from a song I have yet to finish:
    "You indie fans can keep all of your damn street cred......
    "I prefer their mediocrity to your cliche."

    By Blogger Ben, at 5/08/2006 11:52 AM  

  • The 168th Wonder of the World is hardly an indie fan: he listens primarily to Godsmack and other melodic hard rockers.

    And (at the risk of the shelling I will receive at his hands) I'm actually gonna have to agree with you on "Behind These Hazel Eyes". But maybe that's just because every time I hear it, I think, "Give me a chance, Kel, and I'll ease your pain."

    By Blogger Mike, at 5/08/2006 3:59 PM  

  • Lexis Fact or Fiction rules!! I'm getting ready to cash in my points for free iTunes to make CDs for my bridesmaids.

    Btw, I support your purchase of both Kelly Clarkson and Pearl Jam, as they are both awesome.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2006 5:38 PM  

  • I had 5080 points. As I said, I'm only a casual Lexis user and I donated a lot of my points to Katrina victims.

    I never did anything like Lexis Fact or Fiction to increase my points.

    By Blogger Ben, at 5/09/2006 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home