.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Monday, October 08, 2007

My "Civic" Duty: Get Out of the Car

So I'm about 1/4 of the way through one of my long-winded, serious thoughtful posts. This one's about the theology of George W. Bush as it relates to his foreign policy. It's inspired by two articles in Christianity Today. It's shaping up to be a good post and I hope I finish it.

But for now......a story:

I have today off of work because it's Columbus Day. Yes, only the federal government celebrates freakin' Columbus Day anymore, but let's leave that be.

I exit the movie theater having finally seen 3:10 to Yuma. I am contemplating the motives of Russell Crowe's character, Ben Wade. I am wondering what to think of the film's final moments. I open my cell phone to call Christy about her doctor's appointment.

I press the button on the key to unlock our Honda Civic and get inside. Then I notice a bunch of classical music CDs. I don't own any classical music CDs.

At this very moment, I remember that I came to the movie in my Nissan Altima, not Christy's Civic. I look up to see a middle-aged couple staring at me wondering why I just sat down in the driver's seat of their Civic.

----------------------------------

To get the full humor of the moment, you probably have to have been there and witnessed how red my face got.

Let's call this post, Humor in Humiliation....part 2 of a series in Ben's life. Part 1 was about a year ago.

12 Comments:

  • so so awesome

    By Blogger Kenny, at 10/08/2007 6:03 PM  

  • Hilarious.

    But wait. How did you get into their car?

    By Blogger Matthew B. Novak, at 10/08/2007 11:06 PM  

  • They were a few yards away themselves and they had just hit the button on their keys to unlock their car door.

    I wasn't really paying close attention to them and just assumed the car was unlocked because I had pressed the unlock button on my keys.

    By Blogger Ben, at 10/09/2007 9:56 AM  

  • Does anybody else read this story and think, "This could only happen to Ben"?

    Indeed Matt, I too am curious how he got in the car. The only scenario I can think of is that, by sheer cosmic happenstance, this couple pressed the unlock key on their car around the same time Ben pressed his, causing the Civic to do the flashy thing and thus Ben to assume it's his car. That's my theory anyway.

    Or perhaps taking the time to analyze it merely removes the humor of the situation. So let's revert to the following statement: "This could only happen to you, Ben."

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/09/2007 9:59 AM  

  • And then, by another sheer cosmic happenstance, Ben manages to post his response between the time I start and finish mine, and proves that my first proposed million-to-one shot was in fact accurate. I rule!

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/09/2007 10:00 AM  

  • Haha. That reminds me a of a story my dad told me. It was back in the days when he had a blue minivan, and it was parked to an identical one at the groccery store. He unlocked the car, and put some of the fragile items in the front. When he went to put the rest of the grocceries in the trunk, he saw a woman loading her grocceries into the trunk of his van...

    -Leah

    By Blogger Whimsicalife, at 10/09/2007 11:06 AM  

  • Ha, that is amazing timing. And I agree, could only happen to Ben.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/09/2007 3:28 PM  

  • Incidentally, you'll be pleased to know that I told this story to some of my co-workers. They found it hilarious, so if you ever come down to visit and meet any of them, you will be known not as "Ben" but rather as "that car guy".

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/10/2007 9:52 AM  

  • Between this and the split pants in the subway, I feel a genre coming on.

    Could anyone see Ben Stiller playing Ben Stark in a hilarious movie?

    By Blogger Kenny, at 10/10/2007 4:43 PM  

  • Ooh, ooh, I get Owen Wilson!

    By Blogger Jeff, at 10/12/2007 2:36 AM  

  • I guess that means I'll be Luke? You know, if Brad Pitt is unavailable.

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/12/2007 10:33 AM  

  • Oooh, oooh, I get Reese Witherspoon!

    I don't think Ben Stiller and Reese Witherspoon make a good match, though.....

    - Christy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/14/2007 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home