.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

What Would People Think?

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

An Engaging Evening

I can say from personal experience that the day one proposes to one's girlfriend is about the most nerve-wracking day of one's life. Last night, I was nerve-wracked on my friend's behalf. Luckily things turned out well.

On February 14, 2006 at around 11:00 PM (according to my inside sources) my roommate Kenny Ching proposed to his girlfriend Erin Gerrard. And - thankfully for my nerves (and, more importantly, for Kenny's happiness) - she said "yes!"

Congratulations, Kenny and Erin!

Kenny and Erin are my best friends at the law school and are certifiably the coolest people to study in Duke Law's hallowed halls. Kenny (who shall be a groomsman in my wedding in August) is the kind of guy I could have long conversations with about what it means to be a Christian and a lawyer. I often referred to him as "my fellow liberal Christian" as if we were the only ones. He's a novelist, songwriter, former journalist, dedicated scholar, and dedicated friend. He inspires me to be a better Christian and a better friend.

Erin is an occasional commenter on this blog who quickly earned the title of "my other fellow liberal Christian." She's a former track runner, so she's probably in better shape than I will ever be. Upon first meeting Erin, you may think she's rather quiet. That's because you haven't engaged her in political debate yet. Erin has demonstrated her commitment to the downtrodden by working for Bread for the City and arranging community service events at the Durham Rescue Mission. Like Kenny, she inspires me.

What I'm trying to get across is that they are kindred spirits of the coolest kind. I recognize in them the same kind of bond I share with Christy.

I'm so happy for you guys! I haven't been this excited since...well...since I got engaged myself! (Yes, Christy, I was more excited then. A vicarious engagement high is no substitute for the real thing.)

5 Comments:

  • Thanks Ben!! What a nice tribute :).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 3:00 PM  

  • Jesus, Kenny sounds pretty much exactly like me, except that he's engaged and a Christian.

    I look forward to meeting both of these people at your wedding. Incidentally, there will be single people at your wedding, right? *nudge nudge wink wink*

    By Blogger Mike, at 2/15/2006 3:20 PM  

  • This is Erin's sister and I am ecstatic about my future brother-in-law and think that you captured the essence of Erin and Kenny perfectly, Ben! Thank you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 3:44 PM  

  • "Kenny sounds pretty much exactly like me except that he's engaged and a Christian." - Mike

    Well, Mike, there's a reason why both of you are my friends/groomsmen.

    To be honest, I have no idea whether there will be single people at the wedding. But odds are SOMEBODY besides you will be single. I'll hope it's an attractive young female who likes computer-programming songwriters.

    -------
    It's a pleasure to meet you "Michaela / Scooper." Always fun to meet relatives-of-friends in the blogosphere.

    By Blogger Ben, at 2/15/2006 4:00 PM  

  • I intend to be there, and if history is any indication I'll be single too!
    (Hey, at least you'll have someone to drink with.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home